Becoming by Michelle Obama - a literacy resource
The National Literacy Trust and Penguin Talks have produced a free teaching resource inspired by Michelle Obama’s bestselling memoir, Becoming, that aims to boost learners' literacy skills, leadership abilities and confidence.
Building on the central themes of empowerment through education and the important role of self-belief in achieving your potential in Becoming, the resource features a range of activities designed to give learners new opportunities to use and develop their reading, writing, speaking and listening skills. The activities are designed to provide learners with the opportunity to:
- Explore and develop their understanding of the concepts of self-esteem and resilience
- Identify factors that can affect their self-belief
- Consider how they can make a positive difference for themselves and for their community in the future
Activities can be run as individual short sessions or as a single 60-minute careers-focused session. There are also suggestions for differentiation of activities.
The resource includes:
- Information about Becoming by Michelle Obama
- Activities based on three key themes from Becoming: self-esteem, aiming to succeed and making a difference
- Literacy outcomes for every activity
- Motivational materials for learners, including excerpts from Becoming, a video of Michelle Obama’s Penguin Talks event with students at Elizabeth Garrett Anderson School in London in December 2018, and a clip of her final speech as First Lady of the United States
To download the resource, click here