Find out about FE teacher training bursaries available to support you if you’re looking to train to teach in the Further Education and training sector.
Full details, including eligibility criteria and qualifying subjects, are available in the Department for Education bursaries and grants funding manuals, which together with the application forms are now available here.
- Applications for FE teacher training bursaries are welcome from everyone irrespective of background but, as ethnic minority groups are currently under-represented in the FE teaching workforce, applications from members of these groups are encouraged.
- Applications are considered in the order in which they are received and the DfE aims to confirm whether or not they have awarded a bursary as soon as possible.
- Eligible applications are accepted on a rolling basis until the available funding has been exhausted.
- Bursary awards are fixed for the duration of the trainee’s ITE programme, and are for programmes starting in or after September 2022, and finishing no later than August 2023 (for full-time courses) or August 2024 (for part-time courses).
FE teacher training subject/ bursary awards
- Mathematics: £26,000
- Science, including Biology, Chemistry, and/or Physics: £26,000
- Engineering (and/or manufacturing): £26,000
- Computing: £26,000
- Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND): £15,000
- English (capped at 100 places): £12,000
Eligibility criteria for FE teacher training bursaries
To be eligible to receive a bursary a trainee must:
- be eligible to receive student support
- have achieved a standard equivalent to GCSE grade 4 (C) or above in English and mathematics, and at least a level 3 qualification in their subject of training (or have appropriate professional experience)
- be taking a qualifying pre-service ITE course in England
- not already be in possession of a diploma in education and training (DET), DET-compliant qualification or equivalent
- not have already received a full FE ITE bursary award for a previous FE ITE programme or a full FE ITE grant for a previous qualification
See the full eligibility criteria here
View teacher training courses available at Newcastle College.