Workshops offering useful, practical learning strategies for using this learning materials pack
8th March 2007 – Birmingham Voluntary Services Council, 138 Digbeth, Birmingham, B5 6DR
13th March 2007 – Hinsley Hall, 62 Headingley Lane, Leeds, LS6 2BX
Citizenship Materials for ESOL Learners is the project led by NIACE and LLU+ at London South Bank University, part of the Government strategy to make becoming a UK citizen a more meaningful event. NIACE and LLU+ worked in partnership on this highly successful project, developing language-learning materials for migrants wishing to apply for UK citizenship.
In all, nearly 2,000 ESOL teachers have been trained to use the Citizenship Materials for ESOL Learners pack. 97% of the delegates were “very satisfied” with the materials and 88% of the delegates said their assessment of the workshops was “very satisfied”
The aim of these learning materials is to help the ESOL teacher develop the learners knowledge of life in the UK, help them become more active citizens and to support applications for Citizenship. Use of Citizenship Materials for ESOL Learners in an ESOL citizenship course is now a Home Office requirement, if the learners wish to apply for UK Citizenship.
Current training opportunities for ESOL Teachers
NIACE is pleased to offer two workshops designed for ESOL teachers in England.
The one-day workshop for 30 participants will be delivered by 2 trainers who worked on the National 2005-06 programme. The workshop includes useful, practical learning strategies for using the learning materials pack in the classroom. The pack includes examples of materials for learners working towards Entry 1, 2 and 3 and suggestions on how teachers could adapt the materials to suit particular learners. There will be an opportunity to share ideas with other teachers and to explore the best ways of teaching ESOL in a citizenship context to prepare learners for UK citizenship. Each delegate will receive a copy of the Citizenship Materials for ESOL learners pack.
Who should attend?
- ESOL practitioners including managers, teachers and senior managers delivering ESOL provision to adults applying for UK naturalisation/citizenship.
- If you are an ESOL teacher working with learners at Entry 1, Entry 2 or Entry 3.
- If you are an ESOL teacher of adults working with: Immigrants;
Heads of Families and/or people applying for Citizenship
- To examine the background to the introduction of citizenship for ESOL learners
- To start to get to know the materials and how they are structured
- To see how the materials can be customised for use with different learners
- By the end of each programme all participants should:
- Be aware of the background to the citizenship syllabus
- Have developed their awareness of the ways in which the pack can be used with ESOL learners
- Have familiarised themselves with the pack of learning materials
Course Start: 10:00
Course Finish: 16:00
To download the application form or to reserve a place on-line and to view the programme for the event, visit the NIACE website
Enquiries to: NIACE Courses Team on Tel: 0116 285 9661