These programmes offer literacy, numeracy and Functional Skills teachers the opportunity to become fully qualified more quickly. Courses are delivered by the Essential Skills Resource Centre, University of Warwick, who have successfully taught programmes for the last 8 years, combining new technologies, subject specialist knowledge and a commitment to supporting teachers of all levels of experience.
Open Studies Diploma for Adult Literacy Teachers
Open Studies Diploma for Adult Numeracy Teachers
Become fully qualified in 7 months from September 2012 – March 2013
Diploma in Teaching in the Lifelong Learning Sector (English – Literacy)
Diploma in Teaching in the Lifelong Learning Sector (Mathematics – Numeracy)
Become fully qualified (with one qualification) in 15 months
Module 1 (previously year 1) September 2012 – March 2013
Module 2 (previously year 2) April 2013 – December 2013
Key features of the courses
- DTLLS – Intensive course completed in 15 months
- Additional Diploma – Intensive course completed in 7 months
- Flexible / blended delivery model, including distance study
- Attendance at face to face taught days once a month
- Directed on line tasks completed between the taught days
- Extensive but supported use of technology, both online and on taught days
- Addresses teaching of Functional Skills
- Takes account of different contexts in which literacy and numeracy are delivered
- Delivered by experienced subject specialist teacher trainers
- High level of support from tutors, related to needs of individuals
- A commitment to sharing and improving teaching practice
- DTLLS – 50 hours of teaching for each module covering two levels – Entry and Level 1 or 2
- Additional Diploma – 50 hours of teaching covering two levels – Entry and Level 1 or 2
- Level 2 English and maths (O level, GCSE grades A-C, CSE grade 1, Adult literacy/numeracy test at level 2, Key Skills level 2, Functional Skills level 2)
- Undertaking and passing an initial assessment (either English or maths as appropriate)
- DTLLS – a Preparing to Teach in the Lifelong Learning Sector (PTLLS) or equivalent qualification
- Additional Diploma – a full generic teaching qualification (DTLLS, Cert Ed, PGCE, 7407 Stage 4)
See the website for further details of the Entry requirements
Teacher training programmes are now subject to the full fees funding arrangements for higher education courses. However, student loans are available to cover the full cost of the fees. For DTLLS students only, a large number of bursaries of £1500 are available for literacy and numeracy teachers. You may also be eligible for a Warwick National Scholarship. See the Course fees and funding page on the website for more information.
- DTLLS Fee: Module 1 – £3000 payable in September 2012
- DTLLS Fee: Module 2 – £3000 payable in September 2013
- Additional Diploma Fee: £2250
Remember if you take out a student loan:
- You will not make any repayments until you finish your course
- You will not be required to make any repayments if you earn less than £21000pa
- Your credit rating will not be affected in any way
See the website for more information about how accessible and affordable a student loan can be.
DTLLS Induction Day (literacy and numeracy): Thursday 6 September 2012
Additional Diploma Induction Day (literacy and numeracy): Friday 7 September 2012
Literacy: Wednesdays ~ 19 Sep, 10 Oct, 7 Nov, 5 Dec 2012; 9 Jan, 6 Feb, 6 Mar 2013
Numeracy: Fridays ~ 28 Sep, 19 Oct, 16 Nov, 14 Dec 2012; 18 Jan, 8 Feb, 15 Mar 2013
See the Course dates 2012 – 13 for Module 2 dates.
For more details on the Application process and the application form, please scan the QR code, visit our website or email S.Ramage@warwick.ac.uk.
For more information, advice or guidance call 024 7657 4558 to speak to Elaine Goodall or Sara Hattersley.