Interim report launch event, 18 May 2006, Sheffield
Thursday 18 May 2006
Skills for Business
Unit 8 Learoyd Way
Hillsborough Barracks, Sheffield S6 2LR
Conference Fee: £40 per person (including lunch)
‘This event will launch the interim report of the NIACE Committee of Inquiry into English for Speakers of other Languages (ESOL) chaired by Derek Grover CB. The report is being launched for consultation to ensure that the final report to be published in October 2006 addresses all the pertinent issues and makes relevant and achievable recommendations. Evidence has been gathered from a wide range of sources that includes learners, practitioners, managers, inspectorates, policymakers, funders and research bodies.
The Committee was established to consider major challenges with the following remit:
- To review existing evidence on the provision for people with ESOL needs in England, with particular emphasis on quality and quantity of provision, staffing, pedagogy and purposes.
- To review definitions of ESOL, evidence of need, it’s extent and the changing nature of demand for ESOL.
- To identify what could be done to improve ESOL provision, including quality of management and leadership, quality of teaching, learning and achievement; assessment; recruitment of staff; qualifications of specialist and vocational staff; funding and resourcing.
- To examine ESOL in its wider context, including its relationship to citizenship, migration, settlement, employment and social justice and equality issues, and the implications of these relationships for provision, funding and pedagogy.
- To make realistic recommendations to policy makers, funders, inspectorates, providers and practitioners.
This event will provide delegates with:
- An insight into contemporary challenges and debates in ESOL
- A summary of the interim findings and recommendations
- An opportunity to debate and respond to the issues and recommendations in the interim report
To book a place online on Conf Ref C13-32 click here.