This free teaching resource, inspired by Michelle Obama’s bestselling memoir ‘Becoming’, aims to boost learners’ literacy skills and confidence.
Building on the central themes in ‘Becoming’ of empowerment through education and the important role of self-belief in achieving your potential, the resource, produced by the Literacy Trust, features a range of activities designed to give learners new opportunities to use and develop their reading, writing, speaking and listening skills. The activities are designed to provide learners with the opportunity to:
- Explore and develop their understanding of the concepts of self-esteem and resilience
- Identify factors that can affect their self-belief
- Consider how they can make a positive difference for themselves and for their community in the future
Activities can be run as individual short sessions or as a single 60-minute careers-focused session. There are also suggestions for differentiation of activities.
The resource includes:
- Information about ‘Becoming’ by Michelle Obama
- Activities based on three key themes from Becoming: self-esteem, aiming to succeed and making a difference
- Literacy outcomes for every activity
- Motivational materials for learners, including excerpts from ‘Becoming’, a video of Michelle Obama’s Penguin Talks event with students at Elizabeth Garrett Anderson School in London in December 2018 and a clip of her final speech as First Lady of the United States