Multiply is a new government-funded programme to help adults improve their numeracy skills.
If you’re aged 19 and over and don’t have maths GCSE at grade C (or equivalent), you can access free numeracy courses through Multiply to build your confidence with numbers and gain a qualification. Good numeracy skills may unlock job opportunities and lead to higher wages or prepare you for further study. They also help in everyday life, such as helping children with homework and budgeting money.
There are courses for beginners to more advanced courses such as GCSE Maths, Functional Skills Qualifications, or equivalent, so you will be able to learn at a pace that suits you.
You can find more information on numeracy courses by visiting the National Careers Service website or by calling 0800 100 900.
Making a start
The Multiply website has a quick numeracy quiz to help you understand areas of numeracy you might want to improve.
North Yorkshire Adult Learning & Skills Service and York Learning are offering free, bitesize online courses to help you make a start on improving your maths skills. Click on the course title and enter the course code to sign up:-
- Developing Confidence with Numeracy Skills: class code 5YJZ2A
- Developing Numeracy Skills: class code 6M2946
- Numeracy for ESOL: class code HRALAF
There are also courses to help you with the maths skills you need for different careers. Here are the career sectors and course codes:
- Business Administration class code 3JS23Y
- Construction class code 7NG6NH
- Hair and Beauty class code 8393DZ
- Health and Social Care class code JX4M4F
- Hospitality and Catering class code 8FZDAG
- Sports Industry class code 32NQ75
If you would like to be able to help your children or grandchildren with maths, you can use the following course codes:
- Supporting children with maths – Year 3 class code 6F63GM
- Supporting children with maths – Year 4 class code 6HY63B
- Supporting children with maths – Year 5 class code 6MAVJ6
- Supporting children with maths – Year 6 class code 6QBER3
- Supporting children with maths – Year 7 class code HEC87C
- Introduction to GCSE class code 6W5JY6
Read more about Multiply on the Skills for Life Network website.