This free online course by OpenLearn from the Open University is aimed at learners who wish to revise whole numbers, decimals and fractions, both positive and negative.
Learners should already know when and how to add, subtract, multiply and divide. Although they can use a calculator, they still need to do simple calculations in their head or on paper. Such calculations could be to estimate the size of an answer, as a check for their calculator work.
By the end of the course, the learner should be able to:
- write whole numbers and decimals in place-value columns and compare their sizes;
- multiply and divide whole numbers and decimals by 10, 100, 1000 and so on;
- indicate given fractions on a diagram and find equivalent fractions for a given fraction;
- mark numbers on a number line;
- choose appropriate units for a given purpose;
- convert between different metric units and different time units;
- perform, without a calculator, calculations involving: brackets, addition, subtraction, multiplication and division of whole numbers, decimals, simple fractions and negative numbers;
- describe in words the arithmetic processes that (s)he uses.