A research study on the acquisition of basic skills within Newcastle upon Tyne
‘Closing the Gap’
Basic Skills: A Study into Teaching and Learning in Newcastle upon Tyne
Jim Staley and Jill Barnett, Northern Learning Trust
This research study on the acquisition of basic skills within Newcastle upon Tyne was carried out by the Northern Learning Trust, who were commissioned to conduct an interview survey of the relevant stakeholders, analyse and evaluate the data and report back to the Newcastle Learning Partnership’s Basic Skills Sub-Group.
‘Closing the Gap’ considers whether there are any needs and issues that are specific to Newcastle, but in doing so highlights factors which will be of interest and relevance to everyone involved in Skills for Life. The full report is available to view or download from the Northern Learning Trust’s website: www.northernlearningtrust.org.uk
The research focused on the teaching and learning experiences of those who lived or worked in the areas of Newcastle ranking lowest on the Index of Multiple Deprivation’ education index, and was structured to answer the following questions:
– What are the reasons for, and the benefits of accessing basic skills provision?
– How effective is Newcastle’s basic skills provision?
– What are the barriers to widening participation?
– Are there basic skills issues in schools and at what stage do these issues arrive?
– How robust is the basic skills providers and referral network?
– How can the Newcastle Learning Partnership improve their basic skills provision?
– What strategies can be implemented to widen participation?
The interview research data has been analysed to generate a suite of recommendations that can be utilised by the Newcastle Learning Partnership to inform their development of Newcastle’s Skills for Life Strategy as well as form a basis for influencing the policies and strategies of the Learning and Skills Council, Newcastle City Council and Newcastle Local Education Authority.
Northern Learning Trust would be very interested to hear comments or questions about the study. Please contact:
Jim Staley or Jill Barnett
Northern Learning Trust
Great North Road
Newcastle upon Tyne
0191 212 5800