The Learning Edge online magazine aims to support Skills for Life development – Canadian style!
The magazine is produced by the Wellington County Learning Centre, Ontario, which provides residents of the County with a learning service and with information about literacy issues.
The current interactive issue of The Learning Edge is available at www.thewclc.ca/edge
In this issue you’ll find stories and lessons that cover:
- Communication in the Workforce – Students will learn that in the workplace what you say, how you say it and what you don’t say are three key communication strategies.
- Workplace Safety – Jim wants to learn what his rights are at work; Does he have the right to refuse work, if he thinks it’s unsafe? He uses want he finds out as part of a class presentation.
- Essential Workplace Skills – Taxi drivers use many essential skills on the job: reading, writing, speaking & listening and thinking skills (use of memory, problem-solving) to name a few. The skills that taxi drivers use are skills that can be transferred to other workplace settings – and used at home and in the community.
- What Does it Take to Stay Employed? uses two quizzes to help learners rate the employability skills they already have.
- Workplace Stories – Five learners talk about skills they use on the job.