The Assessment Tools Trials website has been set up to provide details of the trialling process for a family of screening and initial assessment tools.
The Skills for Life Strategy Unit of the DfES have commissioned these adult literacy, numeracy and ESOL tools, which have been designed with different audiences in mind:
Generic for general purpose use in a range of contexts
Workplace for generic workplace usage (i.e. non sector-specific workplace)
Detailed information on all the tools available can be found in the Tools section. Trials for the Initial Assessments started in early July 2005, while the Screening Tools trials commenced mid January.
These trials were designed to:
- Confirm that the tools are providing consistent, if approximate, output as to learners’ general skill levels.
- Check that the tools work in the way in which they were designed to.
- Confirm that each individual item is valid and has been correctly designed.
- Gather general feedback from learners, assessors, teachers/tutors, and others as to the effectiveness and usability of the tools.
- Confirm that the guidelines for assessors and learners effectively provide the necessary level of information and support.
Your contribution is important to us. The information gathered during the trials will be used to develop the tools, making them more effective and appropriate.